Monday, June 27, 2011

Akon Calls Nick Cannon 'Famous' Collabo 'Overdue'


Akon's year in music may seem like it's off to a slow start, but expect the Senegalese-American artist's name to be back to music-industry ubiquity shortly.
MTV News recently caught up with the singer/producer/executive on the set of Nick Cannon's video for "Famous," where Akon told us linking up with the actor/rapper (who's expecting twins with wife Mariah Carey) was opportune.


"I listened to ['Famous'] and I actually liked it," Akon said. "He does a lot of family-friendly stuff and I'm trying to go into that realm right now. I want to do a lot more family-friendly stuff, and Nick is the best at that. I feel like this was a collaboration way overdue."
On the set, Akon was friendly as always but didn't divulge any new details about his upcoming album, Stadium,which he hopes to release in September. Last year, the "Sexy Chick" singer revealed to MTV News that producer David Guetta had contributed to the project. For now, Akon plans to go on mini-tours and release new music just to whet the appetites of his fans. But he still isn't sure which song he'll drop first.
"I don't know what to release first," he said. "I'm so excited about the project itself, I'm like, 'OK, which record do I want to put out first?' I haven't quite decided but by the end of April I'll know exactly what I'mma do with the record."
'Kon was more assured in his reverence for Dr. Dre. Last year's "Kush," the official lead single from Dre's long-awaited Detox album, featured a vocal from Akon. "Dre is one of those guys ... he's a perfectionist in his own [right]," Akon said.
"You feel confident working with him because he's not going to let nothing go undone. In a way, that's great. But sometimes you're anxious too, like, 'Man I can't wait to let everybody hear this.' Ultimately, working with Dre was just amazing. Dre is very picky about who he decides to work with too. For him to call me and do [multiple] tracks on the record and be involved in more than one record on that album, it said a lot. It shows how much he really appreciated what I'm doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment